lunes, 8 de noviembre de 2010

A return to Ludwig Van Beethoven

Last time, I spoke about my favorite writer; a Russian. Now it is the time for me to remember the musician that has kept me in awe since I was a child; a German. I have so long since I heard the 5th symphony, that now that I have retaken it, I cannot but remember clearly the impact that the 1st movement had on me for many years. For my readers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Beethoven marks a moment in the history of Western music. It puts away all the cute melodies of the Baroque and Classical music, and it sets forth the foundation for a real music of the human spirit. No longer tones for the courts of kings and aristocrats, but a music for human kind. And that specific moment I trace it back to that 1st movement of the 5th symphony that resonates and will resonate through the ages.

Every time I'm hurt, every time I feel with deep emotion, moved by despair, anger or tears, I return to Beethoven. For all passions, all longing and all love, everything is there. All possible nihilism is banished and life acquires a spiritual dimension that can only be surpassed by reading the Bible. I invite every Western soul that ignores this magnificent spectacle of universal music to know Beethoven; to overcome all that shadow of mediocrity and vulgarity that is so characteristic of pop culture and admits the place where we all come from. Beethoven, like Cervantes, is at the opening of our spiritual consciousness. Western man, return to your origins. There is nothing for you in the future but death and decay.

1 comentario:

Unknown dijo...

Rain, Beethoven's 5th Symphony and the Catholic Edition of the Bible... What a morning!